Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service through which books and journal articles not owned by the library are borrowed from other libraries for use here by students, faculty, and staff. Required textbooks for use in classes are not available through interlibrary loan. Textbooks are available for purchase from the Wilson College Book Store.
- Register for an ILLiad account if you do not already have one.
- If you already have an account log in to ILLiad.
- Complete the form. Please fill out as much information as possible to ensure that there are no delays in ordering. Paper forms are also available at the ILL Office and the circulation desk. You may also attach citations printed from online databases.
- Depending on overall interlibrary loan demand, all of your request may not be placed immediately. If you are requesting more than 5 items, please prioritize by number which items you would like to be requested first.
- The length of time to receive an ILL varies depending on which library will send the item and the work load at that library. The normal period of time is seven (7) to ten (10) days.
- When your items arrive you will receive an email informing you that you have items in your ILLiad account.
- To retrieve your items log in to your ILLiad account. Most journal articles will be delivered electronically as a PDF file. Books and other ILL items may be picked up at the ILL Office in the library.
- An item not picked up during the length of its loan period will be returned one week before the due date.
ILL Loan Periods
- Loan periods for ILL materials vary according to the lending library and the type of item requested; the normal loan period is one month. The due date will be specified on the front strap of the item. Photocopies do not need to be returned.
- ILL items may only be renewed by permission of the lending library. Please notify the ILL Office at least five days before the book’s due date, if you wish to renew it. If renewal is refused, a second copy of the item may be requested from another library if you notify the ILL staff one week in advance of the first copy's due date. The first copy still needs to be returned to its lending library by the due date specified.
- Items may be returned to the Circulation Desk or bookdrop to be checked in.
- There is no charge for ILL services. Most of the articles and books that the Library receives are free of charge; others may entail a cost, and the library will share up to $10.00 of that cost.
- The requestor will be charged for items that are damaged, lost, or overdue. If the Library is charged borrowing fees for items requested but not picked up, the Library will pass those fees on to the requestor.
- You are responsible for all materials checked out in your name. While the Wilson College Library no longer charges fines for overdue items, the library we have borrowed the item from may. Users will be responsible for all fines associated with failing to return an overdue ILL item.
The Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a copy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that a photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of the copyright law.
The U.S. Copyright laws prevent the library from borrowing within any calendar year a total of six or more copies of an article or articles published in the same periodical within five years prior to the date of the request.