Download Code of Conduct (.pdf)
Athletics play an important part in the life of our college. Lessons in sportsmanship, teamwork, competitiveness and how to win and lose gracefully are an integral part of each team. Athletes consider participation in athletics a privilege. They earn this privilege through dedication, desire, and discipline.
Wilson athletes are dedicated to the program. When they wear the school colors they assume the responsibilities that go with them. Each athlete must conduct herself in accordance with NCAA, AWCC, sport-specific governing bodies and Wilson College rules and regulations. The goal of these rules and regulations is to encourage athletic achievement and build student character.
Wilson athletes have the desire to play. They enjoy participation and give sufficiently of themselves in order to preserve and improve the program. This is necessary in order to acknowledge both the personal and team rewards derived from athletics.
Wilson athletes discipline themselves to be good students and good athletes. They must maintain appropriate academic standing and strive to develop healthy bodies. They must discipline themselves mentally and physically to justify the educational and social importance of the program.
Student-athletes are representatives of the college and should conduct themselves accordingly. This includes:
- Understanding the overall philosophy of the athletic program.
- Providing medical clearance to participate.
- Maintaining good academic standing.
- Exhibiting sportsmanship and ethical behavior.
- Making a commitment to practice and compete in accordance with NCAA, Wilson College, AWCC, other sports-related organizations, and team rules.
- Accepting responsibility for all equipment and supplies issued.
- Treating coaches, teammates, visiting team members and officials with respect.
- Upholding this Athletic Code.
Each season, the Wilson College Athletic Code will be reviewed with each team and all student-athletes will be expected to sign this document to indicate their understanding and acceptance of it as an integral part of their athletic experience.
Violations of the Code of Conduct could result in, but are not limited to, the following sanctions:
- Community service
- Loss of eligibility for athletic awards including, but not limited to, varsity letter, senior awards, SAAC awards, pentathlon honors, and hall of fame.
- Game suspensions and/or loss of playing time
- Team penalties