- If the volume of your spam is not too excessive, it is helpful if you forward spam you receive to email@example.com. This is the address that Wilson College uses to register spam so that it can be added to our filtering software.
- There is not much more you or Wilson College’s IT Team can do about spam. There is currently a worldwide epidemic of spam which is affecting every business and institution as badly as Wilson College. According to one spam filtering company, nine out of ten messages currently sent across the internet are spam. This is confirmed by the our experience at Wilson College.
Real Life Wilson Example:
Veteran users will receive more spam than new users. It is just a matter of time before spammers acquire your email address.
- Between 8:30AM on 08 Jan 2007 and 8:45AM on 9 Jan 2007 (Just over 24 hours), Wilson College received 49,592 emails.
- Of those, 39,666 (79%) were immediately deleted by our SPAM and anti-virus filters.
- Of the 39,666 that were deleted, 57 contained viruses and 39,609 were detected as SPAM.
- Since we know that a lot of SPAM still got through, we can assume that the actual volume of SPAM received was very possibly close to 90% of total email received.
There is currently a worldwide epidemic of spam which is affecting every business and institution as badly as Wilson College. It is very possible that the spam epidemic will get worse before it gets better. The IT Team is monitoring industry reports so that we can react optimally to changing conditions.
Revised: 10 April 2007