MFA Admission Criteria
The MFA program begins with the Summer Residence Intensive and incoming students should plan accordingly.
Degree program admission is based on the following criteria:
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning. If the degree was not received in the arts, the student will be required to meet (in person or virtually) with the Director of the MFA program before admission can be granted. A minimum undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Completion of an application for admission into the MFA program.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate colleges and universities.
- Two letters of recommendation from educators, employers or professional colleagues familiar the applicant’s work. Letters should be mailed directly to the Director of the MFA Program, 1015 Philadelphia Ave, Chambersburg, PA 17201 or, alternatively, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In situations where a student has been away from academic study for ten years or more, he/she should consult the program director to identify who could best recommend the student for admission into the program.
- Non-native speakers of English who did not graduate from an English-speaking institution of higher learning will be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Candidates will be required to submit TOEFL scores of 570 (paper-based) or 88 (internet-based) or higher, or an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher.
- A resume or curriculum vita.
- Portfolio of representative professional work completed in the last five years. CD/DVD formats are preferred and a table of contents document must be included. An artist statement/philosophy not to exceed 250 words is also required. Links to websites are not a substitute for submitting a portfolio. Additional documentation such as reviews, up to five pages, may be included in the portfolio.
- $35 non-refundable application fee.
- A personal interview, in-person or via Skype, with the director of the MFA.
- All admissions materials must be received before March 27.
Additional Portfolio Requirements
All work in the portfolio must have been completed in the last five years. A table of contents document must be included. Up to five additional pages of supporting materials such as published reviews will also be considered.
Choreography or performance artists may submit up to 30 minutes of video files. For all time-based work please indicate in the title-descriptions, spaces, title, medium, duration, and date. With longer pieces, indicate any time-frame which you’d like the review committee to focus on; for example [13:34 - 16:54].
Visual artists must submit twenty (20) images. Include title, medium, dimension and date of each image. Up to four images may be details of other objects in the portfolio.