Financial aid is available from many different sources – the federal government; state departments and agencies; private organizations such as the Rotary, churches, employers and from the college itself.  Wilson College students received almost $25 million in financial aid from all sources.   For many types of aid, the student must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We encourage all students to apply for aid from many sources.  Wilson College does not reduce Wilson College grants or scholarships if a student receives a scholarship from a private organization.   Information can be found in your high school guidance office, through online searches, in newspaper articles, from employers as well from the Wilson College Financial Aid Office.

  • Grants - money that you don't pay back usually based on financial need.
  • Scholarships - awarded based on a special skill or talent such as academic, artistic or service.
  • Loans - money that must be repaid usually with interest.
  • Work Study - money earned from on-campus employment.
  • Veteran's Benefits - received by veterans, National Guard or Reservists or dependents of veterans

Wilson College awarded more than $24.5 million to all undergraduate students in 2020-21

Federal Grants


The federal government provides a number of different grants to students with financial need.  For most grants, the student only needs to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be automatically considered.  Grants are available to students who are enrolled in at least 6 credits during a semester who have been accepted to an associate or baccalaureate degree program.  Below are listed the various grants that students may receive at Wilson College.  Students with prior Bachelor's degree are not eligible for grants.

Federal Pell Grant - Grant awarded to lower and middle income students.  Awards range from $590-$6,345 per year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)–Federal grant program assisting exceptionally needy students with preference given to Federal Pell Grant recipients.  Awards range from $200 to $2,000.  To apply, complete the FAFSA by April 30 for priority consideration.

Troops to Teachers - Students in the TIP program who are in the military may be eligible for this grant.  U.S. Department of Education and Department of Defense program that helps eligible military personnel begin a new career as teachers in public schools where their skills, knowledge and experience are most needed.  More information can be found online for Troops to Teachers.




Students and parents may borrow funds to help cover educational costs.  Loan funds are available through both federal and private programs.  For federal loans, the student must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program and taking at least 6 credits per semester.  The student must also be making satisfactory academic progress and not be in default on any prior student loans.  The College also awards loans from several small loan programs.  Students and parents should first consider the federal loan programs.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan–Federal student loans available through the federal government.  The interest rate is fixed at 2.75% for Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans beginning July 1, 2020.  The federal government pays the interest while the student is enrolled if there is demonstrated financial need for a Subsidized Stafford Loan.  The student will be responsible for interest payments for any unsubsidized loan.  Loans are repaid over a period of up to ten years.  Repayment begins six months after the student graduates, withdraws, or drops below half-time enrollment status.  To apply, complete the FAFSA and the Financial Aid Supplemental Form. Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Notes can be completed on-line with the FSA-ID.  First-time borrowers must complete entrance counseling.  Stafford Loans must be disbursed in two payments with the first at the beginning of the first semester and the second arriving at the College half way through the loan period.

Base Amount








Additional Unsubsidized
Annual Loan Limit

Freshmen $3,500 $2,000 $4,000
Sophomores $4,500 $2,000  $4,000




$2,000 $5,000





$2,000  $5,000






Federal Direct Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)–Federal loans designed to help parents meet educational expenses not already covered by financial aid.  Like Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Federal Direct PLUS loans are available through the federal government.  Parents may complete the online Master Promissory Note.  Federal PLUS borrowers may borrow the difference between the student’s cost of education and any financial aid already awarded.  The interest rate is set at 5.30% effective July 1, 2020.  Repayment begins within 60 days after the final loan disbursement for the loan term.  However, parents may arrange deferred payment through the loan servicer.

The parent borrower must complete a PLUS Loan application each year which includes a credit check.  The PLUS Loan application process may be completed online.  The MPN is completed only once.  The parent will use the parent FSA-ID as the electronic signature.

Wilson College is required to notify student or parent borrowers in writing whenever it credits the student’s account with Stafford or PLUS Loan funds sent electronically (EFT).  This notification will be sent to borrowers no earlier than 30 days before and no later than 30 days after the College credits the student’s account.  Student or parent borrowers have the right to cancel all or a portion of the loan by informing Wilson College’s Financial Aid Office, in writing, within 14 days after the date of the College’s loan disclosure notice of their wishes.

Alternative Loans - Additional assistance is available to students through a number of private loan programs.  Loans require a credit check and a student may need a co-borrower if there is no prior or a poor credit history.  Interest rates and repayment options vary.  Student may check the Fast Choice website to compare loan options from different lenders.

Private Scholarships



  • Scholarships for students attending Wilson college, for Native-Americans and other racially and/or ethnic students and for children of Presybterian Church USA missionaries.


State Grants and Scholarships


Many states offer scholarships based on financial need or merit.  Need-based grant programs require students to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and usually an additional form.  These grants have an application deadline that may be as early as February 15.  Below are listed some of the primary states where Wilson College students reside. 


Click on a state below to view more information.

Pennsylvania  Received by May 1
Maryland  Received by March 1
Delaware  Received by April 15
Ohio  Received by October 1
West Virginia  Priority deadline March 1; final deadline April 15 if funding
Connecticut  Received by February 15
Maine  Received by May 1
Massachusetts  Received by May 1 
Vermont  File ASAP after January 1

Campus Employment


Wilson College provides part-time employment opportunities for students during the academic year in many different positions. Work sites may be related to a student's major such as in the Fitness Center, chemistry lab, or Equestrian Center. Other students may work in the library, tutor other students or provide literacy programs within the community.  Students work 8-10 hours per week. The work schedule is often flexible and can be arranged around the student's classes.  Students will be paid at the end of each month for hours worked.

Students annually must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate on the form that there is an interest in participating in the work-study program. All student workers will attend a session just before classes begin to receive information about all the available work sites and payroll forms.

The priority deadline for consideration is April 30 since funds are limited.   Funds may run out before this date so students should complete the FAFSA early.

On-Campus Work Opportunities:

  • Federal Work-Study (FWS)–Federally funded on-campus work program for students who demonstrate financial need.  Students who prefer not to work through the FWS program, or who wish to work fewer than ten hours per week, may be able to borrow additional money through one of the loan programs.
  • Institutional  Work-Study (IWS) –On-campus jobs provided to students not eligible to work under the FWS program, such as international students and those who do not qualify for need-based aid.
  • State Work-Study Program (SWSP) –Full-time students from Pennsylvania who receive a PHEAA Grant may be eligible for campus employment through the SWSP.  Summer employment opportunities may also be available for students.  Students must complete an additional SWSP application which is available in the Financial Aid Office.

Veteran's Benefits

  • Apply online for GI Bill® and other VA education benefits
  • Submit copy of eligibility letter to the Financial Aid Office
  • Complete the Wilson College VA certification form each semester you want benefits processed
  • Also complete the FAFSA since you may be eligible for additional aid
  • Students who submit the eligibility letter and certification form by the start of the semester and whose benefits cover tuition and fees, will not incur late fees

Tuition and Fees

The VA will pay Wilson College directly for Chapter 33 eligible students regardless of enrollment status and percentage of eligibility.  The VA requires that Wilson College reduce the amount of requested payment by any tuition-based scholarship regardless of the source.  Following are examples of tuition-based scholarship assistance:

  • Wilson College Merit Scholarships
  • Wilson College Affiliation Scholarships
  • Any outside scholarship is specifically designated to assist with the payment of tuition and fees.

The Chapter 33 eligible student is not required to pre-pay any portion of their tuition and fee charges that the VA will cover with education benefits payment.

Chapter 31 eligible students must provide documentation from their counselors regarding their eligibility for this assistance.  Students who are Chapter 31 eligible normally are eligible to receive benefits to cover 100% of all costs incurred during each semester minus any eligibility for tuition-based scholarships as indicated above. 

Chapter 31 eligible students must complete an Enrollment Certification Request Form each semester, provide copies of all text book receipts and must notify the Financial Aid Office of any changes in their enrollment.  Students may apply for other types of financial aid assistance by completing a FAFSA.  Chapter 31 eligible students are not required to pre-pay any portion of their charges that will be covered with VA education benefits.


Chapter 33 VA Benefits for books are paid directly to the student.  Chapter 33 recipients who charge books to their student accounts using the E-Campus Bookstore option are responsible for payment of these charges to Wilson College.  Chapter 33 recipients can apply for federal and state financial aid to assist with these expenses by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Housing Benefits

Chapter 33 recipients who live in campus housing and have a required meal plan are responsible for payment of these charges to Wilson College.  Chapter 33 recipients can apply for federal and state financial aid to assist with these expenses by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Chapter 33 VA Benefits for housing (if the student qualifies) are paid directly to the student.  In order to receive a housing payment, the student  must have a rate of pursuit of greater than 50%.  This can very per semester depending upon the number of course credits that the veteran is enrolled in and the length of the term. Courses are valued at 1.0 to 3.0 credits.  Courses with labs or studio fees, language courses and a limited number of other courses that require higher contact hours will be reported to the VA with a credit value of 4.0 credits.   


Helpful links for Survivor's programs include:

Each semester, any student who is eligible for any type of VA education benefit should complete a VA Enrollment Certification Request Form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office in order for VA benefits to be processed.  Please remember that if your enrollment changes during the course of the semester, you must notify the Financial Aid Office so that we can provide updated enrollment information to the VA.