Teaching elementary or secondary school students who are affected by physical or mental disabilities is among the most important and rewarding work in education today. And the need for special education teachers has never been greater, creating opportunities for teachers who are currently certified to teach in grades PK-12. The Wilson College Master of Special Education program will prepare you to become a successful special education professional.
The Master of Special Education (MSE) degree is designed for individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree and are currently certified to teach in grades PK-12. The program is based on the premise that successful teachers will need an in-depth knowledge of pedagogy, a mastery of current theory and an understanding of research-based practices and technology to move from being good teachers to becoming great teachers. The main focus of the Wilson program is to hone teaching skills through research and classroom practices, thereby fostering teaching excellence and teacher leadership.
Master of Special Education Program Options
Master of Special Education No Certification - This option is for certified educators who wish to expand their knowledge of Special Education in grades PK-12
Master of Special Education with PK-12 Certification - This option is for certified educators who wish to gain PA Special Education Certification in grades PK-12
Autism Spectrum Disorders Endorsement
This endorsement program is open to teachers holding a valid Pennsylvania teaching certification. This endorsement provides them with credentials from the Pennsylvania Department of Education in the area of autism spectrum disorder. The program courses are open to other professionals who hold a Bachelor's Degree but note they are not eligible for the PDE endorsement. Learn more >
Wilson Graduate Education Programs Advantages
- Online classes provide the option to take the program completely online or select a few face-to-face courses.
- Class sizes are generally small (less than 20 students).
- Easy entry into the program is made possible because there is no specific sequence of courses. You can jump in and out as your schedule permits.
- Graduate on your schedule in 1 ½, 2, 3+ years. (All course work and degree requirements must be completed within six years of taking the first class.)
- No fees, meaning that you pay only course tuition, which school districts generally reimburse.
- Competitive tuition that is among the lowest in the region. Deferred tuition payment option is available ($50 deferral fee per semester).
Dr. Theresa Hoover
Assistant Director of Graduate Education Programs Associate Professor of Education
1015 Philadelphia Avenue
Chambersburg, PA 17201