The Academic Support Center provides tutoring for a range of 100- and 200-level biology, chemistry, Latin, Spanish, mathematics, equestrian studies, health sciences, psychology, accounting, sociology, and Veterinary Medical Technology (VMT) courses.
In addition to helping students understand and remember course material, our tutors – students who’ve earned a grade of “B” or higher in a given course and provided faculty recommendations -- often share valuable study tips and tricks and help students engage more active study techniques. While tutoring is a great way to facilitate learning and improve academic performance, it should be part of an academic success strategy that also incorporates regular class attendance, adequate independent study time, and frequent communication with professors. Furthermore, as with the writing lab, students should expect to contribute actively in any tutoring session.
• At the first sign that you are having trouble in the course
• When you are having trouble organizing notes or deciding what to study for a test
• When your grades on tests are lower than you expected
• When your instructor suggests tutoring
• When you feel confused or unprepared for an upcoming test
• When the instructor's teaching style and your learning style are not the best fit and another perspective might prove helpful
• As soon as you receive a low-grade report. Don't wait until the last week or two of the semester!
• Your syllabus
• Your textbook
• Your notes
• Specific problems/concepts/questions which you’d like to prioritize
• Paper and pencil
“[The health science] tutor is incredibly helpful and has a talent for explaining difficult concepts! I always highly recommend her!”
“[The chemistry tutor] was so nice and she helped me a lot to understand what was difficult for me and feel confident for my test tomorrow. I will definitely make another appointment with her.”
“[The Spanish tutor] was most helpful with suggestions, personable, reliable and had a good attitude in teaching.”
View the Current Schedule
Accessibility Services Coordinator
Academic Writing Coordinator