The Academic Success Center provides both online and in-person tutoring for a range of 100- and 200-level biology, chemistry, Latin, Spanish, mathematics, equestrian studies, health sciences, psychology, accounting, sociology and veterinary medical technology (VMT) courses.
In addition to helping students understand and remember course material, our tutors (students who’ve earned a grade of “B” or higher in a given course, furnished faculty recommendations and attended tutor training sessions) often share valuable study tips and tricks, and help students engage in more active study techniques. While tutoring is a great way to further and promote learning and improve academic performance, it should be part of an academic success strategy that also incorporates regular class attendance, adequate independent study time and frequent communication with professors. In addition, as with the Writing Lab, students should expect to contribute actively in any tutoring session.
• At the first sign that you are having trouble in a course.
• When you are having trouble organizing notes or deciding what to study for a test.
• When your grades on tests are lower than you expected.
• When your instructor suggests tutoring.
• When you feel confused or unprepared for an upcoming test.
• When the instructor's teaching style and your learning style are not the best fit and another perspective might prove helpful.
• As soon as you receive a low grade report─don't wait until the last week or two of the semester!
• Specific problems/concepts/questions you’d like to prioritize
• Paper and pencil
“(The health science) tutor is incredibly helpful and has a talent for explaining difficult concepts. I always highly recommend her!”
"(The chemistry tutor) was so nice and she helped me a lot to understand what was difficult for me and feel confident for my test tomorrow. I will definitely make another appointment with her.”
“(The Spanish tutor) was most helpful with suggestions and was personable, reliable and had a good attitude in teaching.”
Schedule a session in WCONLINE
Director of the Academic Success Center
Assistant Director and Accessibility Services Coordinator