Wilson College is committed to serving all students with disabilities in all aspects of their college life. Occasionally, a student, due to a medical or psychological (permanent or temporary) disability may need a reasonable housing accommodation.  

A student seeking reasonable housing accommodations must qualify as a student with a disability in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. 

Wilson College recognizes the importance of providing accommodations in its housing policies and practices where necessary for individuals to use and enjoy college housing. The Accessibility Services Coordinator is responsible for evaluating whether to grant or deny requests for accommodations in college housing. In evaluating the request, the Accessibility Services Coordinator will consult with the Director of Residence Life and the Director of Counseling, as necessary, to determine whether the requested accommodation is necessary and reasonable. Individuals with a disability who reside in college housing who believe they need a disability related accommodation must complete an Accommodation Request Form. 

Information for the Student:
-    The Accessibility Services Coordinator will consider requests for college housing accommodations promptly. However, if the request for accommodation is made after the established deadlines have lapsed; it cannot be guaranteed that Wilson College will be able to meet the individual’s accommodation needs during the first semester or term of occupancy.

-    If the need for accommodation arises when an individual already resides in college housing, the student should contact the Accessibility Services Coordinator as soon as possible. Wilson College cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the accommodation needs during the semester or term in which the request is received. 

-    Typically, residence halls are environments in which large groups of students live. This leads to noise, etc. Rooms are not designed as academic spaces; as such, students needing a quiet study space should use the library or other quiet spaces. 

-    Accommodations are reserved for individuals whose documentation illustrates clear and substantial need for a particular living environment or location. If a student seeks accommodations related to more than one disability, more than one professional may need to be involved in providing documentation. 

-    In some cases, students may need to choose between their preferences for roommates or room type and the documented special request in order for the Director of Residence Life to make the best housing placement possible. In some cases, students may be placed on a wait list for rooms that meet their need and preference. 

-    Requests for housing accommodations must be renewed on an annual basis. 

Housing Accommodation Request Process

1.    Complete the Accommodation Request Form and submit to the Accessibility Services Coordinator along with supporting documentation from an appropriate health care provider. 
Please use the following verification form to facilitate the documentation process. 

Disability Verification Form
a.    If not uploaded with the Accommodation Request, the Disability Verification Form may be submitted by:
1.    Hand deliver the Academic Success Center, second floor John Stewart Memorial Library
2.    Fax: (717) 262-4845
3.    Mail to: Accessibility Services Coordinator, Academic Support Center, 1015 Philadelphia Ave. Chambersburg, PA 17201

If the third party returns the Verification Form without sufficient information for the Accessibility Services Coordinator to determine whether an accommodation is necessary, the Accessibility Services Coordinator will inform the individual in writing of the verification’s insufficiency and may request additional information, including individual supplying the third-party verification, within ten (10) business days of receiving the verification. 

2.    After the request form and appropriate documentation /verification Form have been submitted, the student requesting the accommodation will be contacted to arrange a meeting with the Accessibility Services Coordinator.  

3.    After this meeting takes place, the Accessibility Services Coordinator will communicate approval (or denial) of the requested accommodation. The notification email will be sent to the student and Director of Res Life and include the next steps for the student. 

4.    In accordance with applicable law, the Accessibility Services Coordinator may deny the requested accommodation if it is determined to be unnecessary and/or unreasonable. 

Deadlines and Submissions:

In order to ensure that you receive appropriate accommodations, you must complete the above steps by the deadline below. After the deadline has passed, housing accommodations cannot be guaranteed for the upcoming semester. 

Returning Students: March 1 (Fall semester requests) 
November 1 (Spring semester requests)
Incoming New Students (Fall Start): July 1
Incoming New Students (Spring Start): November 1