Degree program admission is based on the following criteria:

  1. Completion of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning. If the degree was not received in a traditional humanities field, the student will be required to meet with the Director of the M.A. in Humanities program before admission can be granted. Furthermore, insufficient background in the Humanities may result in the student being required to take selected undergraduate coursework in the Humanities prior to admission being granted into the program.
  2. A minimum undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
  3. Completion of an application for admission into the M.A. in Humanities program.
  4. Two letters of recommendation from faculty familiar with the student’s academic work within a traditional humanities field or one approved by the Program Director. In situations where a student has been away from academic study for ten years or more, he/she should consult the Program Director to identify who could best recommend the student for admission into the program.
  5. Non-native speakers of English who did not graduate from an English-speaking institution of higher learning will be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Candidates will be required to submit TOEFL scores of 570 (paper-based) or 88 (internet-based) or higher, or an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher.
  6. Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate colleges and universities.
  7. A 15 to 20 page writing sample representative of work in a traditional humanities field.
  8. A resume or curriculum vita.
  9. $35 non-refundable application fee.
  10. Personal interview with the Director of the M.A. in Humanities program may be required of any student.


Enrollment of Non-Degree Students in M.A. in Humanities courses
Non-degree students may enroll in any course for which they have the necessary prerequisites with the approval of the Director of the Program. A student must be formally admitted to the Program prior to enrolling in the fourth course in order for the prior coursework to count towards the degree.

Provisional Status
Provisional status allows a student to enroll in graduate classes in order to qualify for admission to the degree program. A student may be granted provisional status by the Program Director after a plan of action is developed which will assist the student to meet the entrance requirements of the program.

If a student is granted provisional status, the student must first satisfactorily complete the educational plan approved by the program director with a GPA of 3.0 or higher before being officially admitted to the program.

Transfer Credits
At the discretion of the Program Director, no more than two courses may be transferred into the M.A. in Humanities program. For a course to transfer, the grade in the course must be 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale and the subject area, goals, and outcomes must be similar to that of courses designed for the M.A. in Humanities program. Students may be required to present supporting materials (such as a syllabus, assignments, etc.) beyond an official transcript when transferring in a class.